Saturday 28 March 2009

Mid Downs and WAG

So mid downs. I always love this show. Ok I did catch up with some people at Ribble but Mid downs always feels like the first show of the year for me. Even better this year, I didn't have to drive! I greatly appreciated Toni picking me up and driving me to the show. We had a good old natter on the way up and on the way back. So the agility! Two agiltiy runs each and two jumping. Twix was clearn in both her agility runs. I was frustrated at the speed of her dog walk. Everything else was ok. Jumping was an E in fairness the course did seem rather more grade 7 than 6/7. Jag was e'd in his first agility but had good contacts and was clear in the other agility. We came 8th in the 6/7 jumping. I kinda feel like we could have done much better. I started in control but after one wide turn, I turned into a screaming panicing grade 1 handler! Not good! Lets hope that changes.

I was told by a couple of people that I really need to stop stressing about Twix's contacts and I know they are right. Actually its not all the contacts just the dog walk. So that's it, new resolution... no stressing about dog walk. Postition and go! Should work its magic, I hope.

During my discussions on the way home it was pointed out to me that everytime I "train" my contacts, I always stop moving when my dogs hit the stop position and that really to be training them properly I should keep moving after they have stopped. So... plan for WAG!

WAG

Agility... plan into action. Sprinted past dog walk with Jag and he came off!! So did it again with him and he stopped. Twix.. good on dog walk, sprinted past A-frame... she came off. So looks like Toni was right and I had got into the habit of stopping. So need to remember to test contacts a little more.

Both were better on their contacts in the accumulator so that was good. Jag won the jumping and helter skelter, so a pretty perfect day. Twix was 5th in the helter skelter but we messed up the jumping.

A good start to the season really. Next onto Scunny and the first Champ show of the year and first Crufts singles qualifier!!!

2 comments:

Rosie Ison said...

Join the club....Chips contacts are driving me mad. He's fast and good on the A-frame,super fast on the seesaw, but the dog walk speed is driving me to drink !!! So slow on the down plank.. when you get the magic formula can I have some?
Pics are lovely .

Hudsondoglets said...

Good luck at Scunny! I'm not going this year as it's long way if you're not running championship. Win lots.